Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day


Today is Mother's Day! This photo is my mother Rosalee and my daughter Kaylie in their matching T-shirts. My Mom is not only my Mom, but my friend, my sounding board, my voice of reason, my savior, my reason for staying positive, my "Hey - Can you do me a favor?" person. Not only is she all of those things, she is also my best friend.
Mom grew up on a farm in Ogdensberg, NY. As one of thirteen kids, she was one of the youngest kids. She speaks fondly of her brothers and sisters.
Mom married my Dad, Keith, and had us four kids. Julie, Jay, Joanna and Jennie. We lived on the farm, in Navarino. When I was around eleven, she and my Dad split up. Later on, she met and married Chuck, who has a daughter Teri.
Very rarely is it, that I hear anything negative come out of my mother's mouth. She is one of the most positive people I know, always finding a silver lining in a cloud. No matter what problem I call her with to listen to, she puts a different perspective on it. I always look forward to hearing what she has to say.
Mom was present for Kaylie's birth. It was a long, hard labor. Almost 3 days long. Being the first baby and all, I was not so happy with the length of it, but Mom kept saying to me, "Pretty soon, Joanna, you will have the best thing in the world to hold!" After a while, I just wanted to belt her one, because it just wasn't going fast enough for me!! But, again, she was right. All that time and pain just melted away as soon as my daughter was put in my arms.
Mom has a faith in Jesus Christ that I admire. She tries to live by His word. As far as I am concerned, she is doing a very good job of it. As kids, we were taken to church and attended Sunday School. I, myself, believe in Jesus Christ, but I don't attend church. I believe that He has a plan for all of us, and attending church is not necessary, because He sees all. I credit my mother with my faith.
Mom has Kaylie during the week, so she can attend Chittenango School, and we have her on the weekends. It is hard having her away five days a week, but I know she is taken care of by the best Mom in the world, so that makes it a little easier. Kaylie is such a joy to have around, and I know that my Mom sees that too. I think she is making Mom and Chuck a little younger. They go to her games, let her drive them around, (she has her permit) take her shopping, and by spending all this time together, I think that it benefits both Kaylie and them.
So, Happy Mother's Day to all you Mom's out there. I feel pretty lucky to have mine! Love you Mom!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, my daughter. You are sweet, lovable, and lying through your teeth. B:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am not! I speak the truth. Period. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete